Welcome to First Avenue Funeral Service, Inc. Our professional and caring funeral home staff takes pride in providing the highest quality and affordable funeral planning and cremation services that meet the special needs of all families we service.
We offer a complete range of quality services and are experienced at honoring many faiths and customs. We invite you to contact us with your questions, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and we are glad to arrange a tour of our elegant facilities.
It is our goal to support you through every step of your arrangements and to pay tribute to the special memory of your loved one.
To put you at ease during this difficult time, First Avenue Funeral Services provides the following funeral planning assistance and information:
SOCIAL SECURITY: We will notify Social Security by mail of a death. This will aid in stopping monthly checks. If you are entitled to benefits, please call Social Security at 1-800-772-1213. You will need to have your and your spouse's Social Security numbers, dates of birth of minor children, and your marriage date.
VETERAN'S BENEFITS: At your request, we will file applications for a flag, marker, and cash burial benefits. If you have questions about dependent and/or survivor benefits, call the, Department of Veterans Affairs at 1-800-827-1000
INSURANCE: Insurance Companies generally require claimants’ statements and death certificates. Your director at First Avenue Funeral Service is familiar with the process and will assist you on request.
WILLS & PROBATE: In New York City The Surrogate's Court hears cases involving the affairs of decedents, including the probate of wills and the administration of estates. Each County has its respective office, contact us so we can forward you to the appropriate office.
Our philosophy regarding funeral planning is that no two funerals are the same. Each family we serve has unique and important needs that we strive to satisfy. By working closely with your family we can arrange a funeral ceremony that will express the special, one-of-a-kind relationship that you shared with your loved one and help enrich the memories that you will cherish forever. We believe that you will only find this type of dedication from a local, family owned funeral home. We are proud to say that we are one of the few funeral homes in the greater New York City area that is still family owned. We hope that our site will be able to answer any questions you might have and we thank you for your interest in our funeral planning and cremation services.
Here are some specific services we provide:
- Procuring the death certificate and burial or cremation permit
- Coordinate service details with church and clergy
- Writing and placing classified death notices in newspapers
- Assistance in composing obituaries
- Coordinating all the arrangements regarding burial space with cemetery
- Coordinating floral designs for families and friends
- Providing pallbearers, when requested
- Providing benefits assistance in completing forms for Social Security, insurance, Veterans’ benefits, pensions and notary public service
- Offering complete selection of caskets, burial vaults, urns, and clothing
- Complete selection of personalized prayer cards and acknowledgment stationery
- Coordinating cemetery monuments, grave markers and engravings
- Arranging for cremation services, if desired
In addition to professional, courteous and understanding service, our funeral home also provides additional value with these enhancing services.
- Dedicated to serving all faiths
- Providing traditional, memorial and cremation services
- Funeral pre-planning services available (see Pre-Planning)
- Easy access from all major travel routes (see Map)
- Providing supportive aftercare information and referral to community services
- Numerous Funeral Directors Licensed through out the entire Eastern seaboard working on premise
- Central to all major churches, synagogues and cemeteries
- Grief support with our "Picking up the Pieces" program
- Large national and international network of affiliations offering out-of-town arrangements
- Proactive community educational programs such as "Escape School" and "Smart & Safe Seniors."